Monday, October 25, 2010

Adventures in House Hunting

Goodness Gracious! House hunting IS quite the adventure!  We set out on Saturday morning with a list of 10 or 12 houses to see and spent the day visiting several area suburbs.  We were overall pretty pleased, coming up with a list of 4 houses we really liked in three different suburbs of KC.  Our  favorite house is a little further out in a growing suburb.  The house is really pretty and looks like new.  All we'd have to do there is to fence the yard.  Then there were two houses in another more rural suburb.  One was similar in styling to the favorite, but a little more expensive and the other was the least expensive but a totally different (maybe even preferred) layout.  And it had a red door (love that!).  Then there was one more closer into "town" but quite a bit more expensive and smaller.  We also had a couple concerns about the layout.  We were super excited and planned to have M's parents visit the house, M do his simulated work drive this morning, and to make an offer if all that went well...

Then we started researching.. I'm not sure how this escaped prior research we'd done when we first moved here (we're BIG researchers), but apparently some big rail/truck hub is going in very close to the favorite house...ugh.... it's expected to increase property values, but it's proximity to this neighborhood is a big concern for us.  We're still deciding what to do right now- if we need to move onto another house, move completely out of that suburb, or shop more in the top of our range (these houses, all but the last I mentioned, are more middle of the range- very comfortable- something we were very excited about).  So, on to more adventures.  I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop and in the mean time you can pray for my sanity- ha!

Hope you all had a happy Monday or at least survived!


6 comments:

Kitty and June said...

hang in there! those are tough decisions...it took us a while to decide on ours bc a house I really liked backed up to the highway! grr...see ya tomorrow!

Angela said...

Reading your blog post was like watching an episode of House Hunters. I love that show! Good luck with your house hunt.

Nicole said...

Just don't let the hunt wear you out or throw you back! Keep your spirits up! Especially with the economy right now it can be all overwhelming! But I'm sure you know that :)

molly said...

Fun! Thanks for the update. I know all too well the adventures of house hunting. It is SUCH a tough decision. Just take your time. You're a buyer and buyers have the upper hand right now (and will for awhile)!

Can't wait to see what you choose. Good luck!

Gwen said...

It took us months to settle on a house. We knew we wanted a fixer upper but we wanted specific things. I swear we looked at 50 houses before we decided on ours. Just keep up the momentum and definitely don't get discouraged. XOXO

Adrienne said...

House hunting is an adventure to say the least. When we were looking I got so aggravated looking at houses that needed to much work and were not what I wanted. Glad that you're finding places you like. Hope you find your dream home and don't settle for anything less.