Monday, August 23, 2010

New Job- Day 1

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the well-wishes on the job today.  So onto day 1... Well, I would describe how today went as "fine".  Nothing bad happened, everyone was nice, and I'm still very grateful for the job.  I think the hard part is that it wasn't as positive and exciting as I had hoped it would be.  I'm used to working in an environment that's really social and lots of people with similar ages and interests as myself, so this work environment is a big change.  Also, I still have a lot of questions around exactly what I'm going to be doing on a day to day basis.  I know some of you are probably thinking "didn't you ask about the job when you were interviewing?".  Of course, I did, but the interview process was almost 2 months long and the interviewer was kind of vague.  Regardless, I knew enough to know it would be a good expansion of what I had done thus far.  Anyway, all this is just to say that I'm ready to know a little more and start to get my hands dirty.  6 months without a job has created this desire in me (and probably some unrealistic expectations).  So, overall, I guess I have mixed feelings about day 1, but I'm ultimately optimistic about the job working out and being a good fit for me.  I just think it's too early to tell, and I think I'll like it better once I really get to know some people (they all seem very nice) and get to start really working.  Well, I'm off to wrap up a few things and get a decent night's sleep (after work, gym, and cooking dinner for 4, I'm pretty pooped).  Hope you all have had a great start to week, and hopefully day 2 will bring good things for me, too!



2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Glad you had a good first day, hope it continues that way! :)

Rachel and John said...

I find that first days are always disappointing. You have to wait until you're doing what you'll actually be doing to see how it is.