3 years ago today, M popped the question and we (finally) went from being bf/gf to fiances. Since I don't think I have told this story before, I thought today would be the perfect opportunity (sorry if I happened to have told the story before, please feel free to skip!).
On the day of our engagement, the day started out normally. I was living with M's family that summer while interning in KC. M was working on the other side of the state for his internship and I wasn't expecting a visit anytime soon. The day started out as any other Thursday would, just a normal old work day. I had previously planned to meet with my roommates that night to talk about our apartment for the upcoming year, but half way through the morning, Matt's mom, Glenda called and asked me to go to the Plaza with her for dinner. We had been talking about going out for a "girl's night" sometime soon (M has no sisters, so I'm the only girl in the family now other than his mom), so I wasn't super suspicious at this point. Also, even though M and I had gone ring shopping a few times, as far as I knew, he hadn't decided on a ring. So, as I continued to work that day, my suspicion rose. Glenda (M's mom) had asked me to go ahead and cancel my plans with my friends in case we weren't back yet, which was very unlike her. So, we wrapped up the work day, and on my way home I made a couple phone calls. The first was to my friend, Emily, who lived in the town where M was doing his internship that summer. I told her my suspicions, but she later called back and told me that M was, indeed, still in that town because his parents were having him over for dinner. That silenced some of my nerves. I also called my mom and told her I thought something was up. She told me to stop because if it was "it" I was going to ruin my surprise and to just go into in just as a fun night out with Glenda. Thanks to both of them I wasn't overly suspicious. I still felt the possibility that it was going to happen, but I really didn't want to set myself up for disappointment if it didn't. I got home from work, changed out of my heels (I only wish I had time to get cuter), and headed to the plaza with Glenda. We walked around for a bit while we waited for our reservation and then headed to Brio Tuscan Grille (Yum!) for dinner. Throughout dinner, I was a little uneasy, but I tried to remind myself to just enjoy the night out. After dinner we walked around stopping stores and whatnot for while and then went to walk down by the little stream that runs through the plaza. When we got there, I noticed my special someone was, indeed, there waiting for me!
After I met M and we got into our awaiting gondola
I knew what was coming, but I let him do his things (especially since it was obvious how hard he had worked to make this special). M was waiting down by a gondola boat that you can take through the little river (river may be an overstatement). We got into the boat and road a long for a minute or two before he said anything about what was going on. It was super sweet and romantic, as he popped our non-alcoholic champagne and we took in the sights. Finally, he started into his "speech" with sweet words of affection and love. I wish I could remember what he said (although I can tell you, in true M fashion, it was short and sweet). Then he brought out the ring box and asked me to be his wife! I was beyond thrilled and happily said yes (no tears for this girl- I was just so EXCITED)! Once the gondola ride was over, we spent the rest of the night making phone calls to family and friends and talking wedding I certainly didn't make him stop to buy a wedding magazine on the way home :). What an amazing day and a fantastic proposal (good job, Hubby)! It's hard to believe three years have passed and so much has changed. One thing that hasn't, though, is that I would say yes a million times again (and with so much certainty)! I love you, honey! Okay, enough sap for one day. Happy Monday, everyone!
The newly engaged couple
Future Mr. & Mrs. deFlon


7 comments:
Aww that is such a cute story!
That's such a sweet proposal story!! Yall are so cute together!
Seriously precious!!
I came here from D.A.R.'s blog. Such a great engagement story. I'm getting close to getting married (39 days) and I love reading other people's stories. tnicolej.blogspot.com
So sweet!!!
Aw! What a sweet story, it sounds like the perfect proposal :)
What a cute story! Love it! L(
Post a Comment