Friday, April 23, 2010

Show Us Your Life- How you Met Your Husband



Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

First off, thank you so much for all your sweet comments and prayers. I know Bayler, his family, and (us) his extended family appreciate them all. God is definitely a miracle worker, and we know we will see that Miracle in Bayler's life. Since it's been a heavy couple of days, I wanted to lighten things up today.

It's Show Us Your Life time again over at Kelly's Korner. Today's topic is How you Met your Husband. I know some of you already know the story, but some might not, so here goes!

In my junior year of high school, my dad got a promotion, and my family moved from North Carolina to Kansas City. I was outraged about the move, but didn't have much of a choice in the matter. On a visit to the city, my family allowed me to choose the high school I wanted, and they then house shopped in that area. Blue Valley seemed like the perfect fit for me (aside from the fact that it was about 5x as big as my previous school). We moved in June of 2002, right before my junior year began. The first half of that year I met several people, started cheerleading, and dated a few boys, but nothing really substantial. The boy I happened to be dating at the time had broken up with me about a month before my junior prom, and I was horrified at the thought of going alone and not finding a date. That semester, I had been taking, among other classes, a pre-calculus/trig class. I had already taken trig in NC, but due to the differences in the class structure, I had to take it again in this class. Sitting in front of me that semester sat Matt. We had a great time chatting back and forth, and I could definitely see a friendship developing. Much of Matt's time was spent turned around to talk to me (resulting in a less than perfect grade for him.. he clearly should have planned a study date). Anyway, once my then boyfriend broke up with me, I started talking to people about prom and had casually asked Matt in class one day who he was going with. He replied that he wasn't going because there was no one he wanted to go with... OUCH! Another attempt was made by a girl on my cheerleading squad who was friends with Matt to see if we'd be interested in going together. Come to find out, up until then, Matt didn't even know I was single! A few days later, just a few weeks before the prom, Matt came up to me at my locker, put his hand on my arm (for some reason I remember this distinctively), and said, "Hey, do you have anyone to go to the prom with?" I replied that I didn't, and he proceeded to ask me to go with him. We had a few more dates before the prom, and then the big night arrived.


I was determined to keep things casual, since I had been so "unlucky in love" since moving to KC. I had no idea, though, that Matt was looking for something more serious. After just a few months of dating, we realized things were getting more serious than I think either one of us expected. There were definitely plenty of bumps in the road along the way and one HUGE decision for me to stay in Kansas for College, while my family moved back to NC, but 5 years later, we were married. I'm sure I'll share more dating details sometime in the future, but 5 years would be a lot to cover ;). And so it all began...

Happy Friday!


1 comment: