Sunday, March 14, 2010

Show Us Your Life- Favorite Charities

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

Hey guys,
One of my favorite blog out there is Kelly's Korner. Every week Kelly posts a "show us your life" topic, and this week is my first time participating. I am a couple days late, but I still wanted to get in on this one. This week, Kelly asked everyone about their favorite charities, and I do have a couple that are near and dear to my heart.


The first charity is St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. This was my sorority's philanthropy in college, but it has actually become much more meaningful to me in the years since college. One of my cousins' sons was diagnosed with neuroblastoma a few months after Matt and I got married, but has been battling it ever since. While he is not being treated right now at St. Jude, the research done there is so important to curing his and so many other types of cancer. Also, families being treated at St. Jude will never pay a dime for care.



Another Memphis-based charity near and dear to me is my former employer, Youth Villages. I had no idea what Youth Villages was prior to moving to Memphis, but it really is an amazing organization helping emotionally disturbed children and their families to live successfully. YV offers a continuum of services to help these kids from residential services (for kids who have had to be removed from their homes) to foster care, adoption services, transitional living, and their largest program, intensive in-home services, where counselors go into the home and work with the families. They help parents learn how to deal with their children's behaviors and help them to overcome these challenges so they can stay together as a family. YV's programs have been extremely successful through the years, and I'm so glad I can now spread the word about YV to anyone who hasn't heard about the amazing work they do.

What charitable organizations do you love and/or support? It's always incredible to see what amazing organizations exist to help all kinds of people in need.


No comments: