Today over at Kelly's Korner, the Show Us Your Life topic is Hometowns. A hometown is a bit harder for me to define than for most people, like my husband, who has spent his entire life [past the age of 6] in the same town (with the exception of the past 2 years). For me, we moved multiple times throughout my childhood, but we always returned to the same tiny North Carolina town, Elkin. Elkin is itty bitty, made up of just 4100 people. There is one high school, and one elementary school, and everyone knows everyone. It is the best and the worst. Sure you may not be able to run into Walmart without seeing everyone you know, but when something happens in your life, whether amazing or tragic, you'll never go a night without dinner being brought over or neighbors stopping by. Growing up, I thought I'd never leave Elkin, and planned to return there one day for good (I really missed it everytime we moved away). Well, finally somewhere else stuck with me, and as I grew older, I decided I'd prefer a place a little larger than Elkin. The great thing, though, is that my parents, friends, and their families all still live there, so I get to visit whenever I "go home".
A few of my favorite Elkin things:
Downtown Elkin: Walking downtown after school as a kid, parades for Homecoming and Christmas, and way back when, walking to the movies from our house just down the street
Friends: My life-long friends (and some of my best to this day) are one of my favorite reasons to go back (along with my family, of course).
My Church: While my style of church I like is much different now, I loved growing up in our church in Elkin and was thrilled Matt and I were able to get married there.
Vineyards: And on a very different note, vineyards are the new thing in Elkin. They are popping up all over and have become one of the newest tourist attractions. Last weekend, my family even attended the Wine Festival in Elkin.
So that's my town! Happy Friday!
3 comments:
I grew up (and still live) in a small town in NC, too! Hillsborough...near Chapel Hill & Durham! I know what you mean about not being able to go to Wal-Mart without seeing people you know!! =.)
I'm stopping by from over here in Clayton, NC. Maybe one day you'll make it back to Elkin to live for good!! Elkin is a place I've never been but am familiar with the area since I grew up in Asheboro.
Stopping by from KellysKorner, Im not too far, we are in Durham NC. I actually know a couple people from Elkin. One I met at camp in High school and one I went to college with! Love the small town feel!
Post a Comment