Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Weekend to Remember

This past year, I have learned a lot about loss and cherishing the time with those you love.  I've had friends lose parents and grandparents, and my family lost my little cousin this past summer.  Life is too short, so we must cherish each blessing and each day.  I say all this because these lessons make weekends like this past one all the more precious to me. 

Friday afternoon, my parents flew into Kansas City for a visit.  This was their first trip since we moved back last year, and I'm so grateful they were able to make the trip.  Matt picked them up at the airport, and from then on, we spent the weekend doing all kinds of wonderful, regular, every day things... only for us, we don't usually get to do them together.  Mom and I did a little shopping and scored some great deals on some house stuff and wedding gifts to save for this summer, while Matt and dad watched sports, visited Bass Pro (man shopping) and grabbed lunch and beers at a local dive bar.  Then we all spent the evenings together eating too much at our favorite restaurants,talking non-stop, and playing with "grand puppy" Cayne.  We even took in a movie on Sunday, visited with Matt's parents, and got some much-needed help on some bridal shower prep!  It was a wonderful weekend of regular life things, but it was so special to do it all with my family. 

Monday morning I took them back to the airport before work.  The goodbyes are still so hard for me, but we managed to leave without tears this time (good thing, since I had to head straight to work).  It's so hard not living in the same place as my family.  Sometimes I regret living where we do, just because of this, but I know that we made what we felt was the right decision, and I know my parents understand and respect that.  I know they're grateful we were able to make this place our true home and that we have both friends and family here to support us.  The one thing I do love is that each time I see my family, I cherish it more than I ever would if we lived in the same place.  Our time is special, and we make the most of each visit.  I hope one day that I have more time to spend for visits there and for them to come here, but in the mean time, I just hope they know how much we love and appreciate them- how much we try to be present with them even when we're far away.

This weekend was definitely  a weekend to remember and one we'll cherish for many years to come.  It may have been made up of a bunch of regular activities and moments, but those moments are so special when shared with my family.

(edited to add: I thought about this post after I went to bed last night, and I wanted to be sure I said that we do love where we live, our friends and family here, and we're very pleased with our decision.  It is, however, still tough not to have those feelings when we're reminded of the reason we moved East in the first place, but we are very happy with our lives here in KC... just thought I might need to add that)





7 comments:

Our Volunteer Family said...

I know what you mean - especially since my mom moved away. I am so happy that you had such a fun weekend with your parents! Tell Matt and Cayne we said hello :)

Jess said...

So happy you had a wonderful visit with your family. I can relate, also not living anywhere near close to family that I long for the times when I can visit with them. Those "everyday" things are what I miss most!

d.a.r. said...

I know we will never replace your parents and sisters, but hopefully we can keep you busy :)

I am so glad you had such a good time visiting them and hope you will get to see lots of them in the coming months with wedding goodness!

Kiersten said...

I am glad you had such a great weekend! I can totally relate-- we live in Texas, and our families are in Portland and Seattle. It is definitely tough to be away. But it makes those times together so much more special!

Kitty and June said...

I can relate so much to this post! It's so difficult living away from your family, but the time together is so sweet. My family threw my mom a birthday surprise party this past weekend and it KILLED me to not be there. I almost bought a plane ticket! Ha! Oh well. One day we'll be back :)

Eva said...

it's true, life is short and we need to cherish it. what a reminder of this with the recent earthquakes and tsunami in japan!

http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

beka said...

I honestly could not imagine not being near my family- but I feel a lot of the same emotions towards my husband's family, who live nearby but have chosen not to be a part of their kids' lives. I think it's wonderful that you realize what a gift it is to spend time with your family, and it's a good reminder to me, to be grateful for the close relationships with the family we have nearby.