One thing I left out of my holiday "spewing" yesterday was my expedition in holiday cooking! On Christmas day, the family decided to cook a traditional holiday dinner complete with turkey, bread, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, macaroni and cheese, and birthday cake for Jesus! Apparently I'm a big girl now, and we have to help actually cook the food if we want to eat something! Dad did the turkey, but Mom and I were in charge of the rest. Luckily I had a visitor, one of my best (and life-long) friends, Emily, stop by to chat, and I recruited her to help with my Mac and Cheese. I had done my best googling to find the perfect recipe (aka one that didn't look too complicated and that we had all the ingredients for), and we got to work! Well, a pan of burnt butter and lots of laughs later, we managed to whip up a mean mac and cheese, so I thought I'd share the recipe with all of you- not too hard and very yummy!
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Prep: 15 min., Cook: 7 min., Bake: 20 min., Stand: 10 min.
For more tasty mac and cheese recipes, see our complete Macaroni and Cheese recipe collection.)
Yield: Makes 2 to 3 main-dish or 4 to 6 side-dish servings
Ingredients
- 1 (8-oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (I left this one out)
- 1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
Preparation
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Keep warm.2. Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, black and red pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and cooked pasta.
3. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
4. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese. To lighten, 2% reduced-fat milk and reduced-fat cheese may be substituted.
One-Pot Macaroni and Cheese: Prepare recipe as directed, stirring all grated Cheddar cheese into thickened milk mixture until melted. Add cooked pasta, and serve immediately. Prep: 10 min., Cook: 7 min.
Stewart Gordon, Charleston, South Carolina, Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2007
Find the recipe here.
I also tried my hand at deviled eggs.. it all turned out great despite my experimentation! What can I say, I'm a Martha in the making, huh?

4 comments:
Yum! I'm always on the lookout for a good homemade mac n cheese!
You know what the best part of being a grown up and cooking is? You get to leave out the things you don't like and add the things you do! :)
Looks like you did a great job, despite the butter. But hey, having something to giggle about with friends in the kitchen is one of life's best pleasures.
i love deviled eggs and i'm glad yours came out well. it's one of the only things I can make, ha!
Yumm yummm!Im always looking for new recipes! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment