Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

Lent- a season to focus on God leading up to Easter and the resurrection.  

I happen to love the lenten season.  By making the commitment to the Lord, I am able to do/sacrifice so much more than I am by my own abilities.  Even though sacrifice is hard, I feel so rejuvenated, focused, and at peace after going through the process.   For the past few years, I have given up soft drinks- huge, given that I don't drink coffee, so it's my sole source of caffeine.  After last year, I was able to give up one of my daily diet cokes.  I'm down to 2.. some days only 1.  I am continuing to give this up this year.  It will still be hard, especially on the super tired days or early mornings, but it's probably my biggest "food" addiction, so I think it's still important.  I'm also adding to it this year with a couple more Lent commitments.  I'm giving up chocolate... ugh.. I've been thinking for a while of a food sacrifice.  I've done sweets before, but it's been a while.  I don't eat tons of sweet stuff like I did back in college, but I've developed a habit of a piece of chocoalate after lunch, chocolate in my granola bars or snacks, and often chocolate (even if it's the 'diet' variety) in my desserts when I have them.  I'm hoping giving it up will help me get away from most of my sweets (even though I know I may end up subbing something in where chocolate is currently).  It will certainly be a challenge.  Finally, I'm limiting myself to 30 minutes of internet time at home.  I'm allowing myself 30 minutes for whatever I want, but I feel like it will be filled with mostly necessary stuff like paying bills and looking up my saved recipes, etc.  I am going to make every effort to keep most of that time before Matt gets home, so I spend more quality time with him.  I also hope it gives me more time to get things done at home and do other projects I've been meaning to do.  With all of my lent commitments I am going to have Sunday off.

Matt's participating in Lent this year, too, and I'm really proud of him for it!  He has committed to giving up his out to eat lunches at work.  This is HUGE for him, and something that I am always nagging him about.  I also asked if he would commit to reading a devotion book I gave him for Christmas over lent, to which he agreed.  I hope it will be something he grows to enjoy, but if not, at least it will be a good reminder of the reason for the commitment.

I'm also hoping we'll make it to church throughout Lent.  We thought we found our church last year around this church, but over the year, we've decided it's just not quite right for a few reasons.  We've been looking around a little bit, but I'm hoping and praying if we can try to get to a church each week then maybe we'll find a new church to call home.

Are you making a lent sacrifice/commitment?  If so, then best of luck with the start of Lent today!

-Jordan-

No comments: