After another hiatus, I'm back again because there has been a lot going on, and I don't want to miss recapping any of it! I can't believe it's already been a month and a half since my half marathon, but it still feels like yesterday (only a lot colder and less sore than if it was yesterday). So in the interest of getting everything I remember covered without boring anyone who might still read this (yea right), I'd recap bullet point style.
1/2 Marathon Recap
- Note to self- parking downtown is horrendous... It was so bad that I nearly missed the race altogether.. I had to RUN to the starting line to make it in time.
- There's nothing better or worse than just before you start. It's terrifying but such a rush!
- Since I ran this one by myself, I chatted with various strangers throughout the race, all of whom were super encouraging. I love the camaraderie!
- If anyone is considering running the KC 1/2 Marathon know that it is super-hilly, especially in the beginning. I thought I was prepared, but I had no clue!
- Go to the bathroom before.. then go again! The worst part of the whole experience was that I had to use the bathroom for over half the race. I was determined not to stop, so I held it, but that part was awful.
- Timing-wise, I did pretty well for me (although maybe not by other people's standards). I started out with the 2:20 pace group and gradually moved up to just before the 2:15 group. The pacers were super motivating (especially on the hills), but I ran most of it between pace groups.
- The last quarter mile felt like it took forever, but I have never felt more proud of myself than when I crossed the finish line! My goal was to finish (and I knew I wanted to finish at least under 2:30), and I made it in 2:12:29!
- This was the first time I had Matt come to a race, and the poor thing stood by the finish line for like an hour with his buddy trying to get my picture as I finished... unfortunatley, they missed me :( We did meet up and take some post race pictures, though! I was so grateful to have my little fan club cheering me on!
- So... is another one in store? I'm not sure. The race went really well, but the training sucked. If I did do one, I'd probably do it post-baby (whenever that is) and do it with someone else. Group training sounds a lot more do-able. In the mean time, I'm sticking with shorter races and doing a run or two a week just so my body doesn't forget what to do!
-Jordan-


3 comments:
Such an amazing accomplishment!!! Way to go!
That is a great time! Awesome job!
Wow good for you! I'm so impressed. I was doing really well training last spring but then it got so hot over the summer and my heart rate kept getting wacky so I stopped. Posts like this make me annoyed that I stopped! :) Running post-baby would be a good idea though because everyone always says that it's a killer way to shape up a belly. Yes, I think I'll tell myself that I didn't give up earlier this year, I'm just waiting.... :)
Post a Comment